Friday, December 18, 2009

Tears of joy...

and not because it was the last day of school  (and I can get a solid's night of sleep).  Today I actually cried in front of my entire grade two classroom and my associate.  Actually, my associate was crying too.  The surprise the kids were working on was, in fact, a photo album of all of our time together and a personalized mini card from each of the kids with the sentence. "Ms V is a great teacher because__".  Each of them finished the sentence and drew a picture to accompany it.

As I flipped through the pages in front of my grinning class I was excited to see and share what each of them had written.  I was fine until I got to the last page of the album where my associate teacher had written, "Your classroom will be lucky to have you," and I looked up and she had tears in her eyes and then of course that meant I did too.

I am not a crier. Seriously I don't do that and to do it in public is just mortifying but I really couldn't help it.  All the kids continued to giggle and state the obvious that both of their teachers were in tears and acting like complete ninnies but it was just a really bittersweet moment.  It is the best gift I have ever received.

It's ironic that I was initially worried that I wouldn't be able to connect with my grade twos like I did with my grade fives and now I wonder how I'll adjust again to a split class.  It's been a truly rewarding experience that took me by surprise.  The class even sent me away with my own mini Hawaiian getaway kit including some coconut scented soap!

I gave a card and a gift to my associate at the end of the day and of course more tissue was needed.  I am really going to miss everything from round two.  I had an amazing mentor, well behaved and lovable kids and a magical feeling when I walked down the primary hallways with colourful art posted on the walls.

That walk to my car felt the heaviest.  It was probably because I had to bring back all the stuff that I used during my lessons and a bag of goodbye/Christmas gifts from the kids...but also because I won't be back till mid February and even then it's a different area and division in the school. I should be happy that I finally get some time off to work on my resume and relax and eat some candy canes and stay in my pajamas all day...but I definitely have the last day blues.

I'm going to go eat some peanut chocolate fudge that my associate made me to console myself...who knew primary would win me over so thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails