Friday, February 19, 2010

The Hugging Mob

Today I went to visit my grade twos in their class.  I was greeted by screams of glee and excitement and, of course, a mob attack of 18 little ones trying to hug me from every angle.  I didn't realize how much I missed them and that classroom till they swarmed me with their big smiles.  One little girl probably realized the same thing and said out loud, "NOW it feels normal now that you're back Miss. V!" Yea, I guess normal would be the word.  Maybe an indication of where I truly belong... but time will tell. 

Shortly after I told the other student teacher at my school about my fun visit and she began to lecture me about liabilities and risking my career before it's even started.  We've learned all about laws and policies and analyzed countless case studies about real teachers who got into real trouble for big and small things.  In all honesty I understand that as a student teacher this is no time to be crossing boundaries but at one point is it simply ridiculous??

Kids are touchy, feely, messy, loving and live totally in the moment.  Who am I to tell them to cut it out if they want to express what their feeling?  I felt it too, that mixture of gladness, homecoming and realizing how much you miss something only when it's gone.  Being in the middle of that hugging mob will be a memory I cherish always. 

It's sad to think that something that feels so natural can be so dangerous to a teacher's career.  I have met some other student teachers who actually raise their hands up and step away when a child approaches to hug them.  I know in my school community there are some families who have parents working night shifts or who aren't living in the best circumstances.  What if that hug is the only opportunity for human contact and comfort?  What if that is the only opportunity for them to express their emotions?

Sigh, I know it's a risky business in the field that we're in, but I'd like to think that when a child runs up to me with open arms that I can hug them right back.  For now, it will have to be a hug above the shoulders and on the side... unless you get attacked by a hugging mob :)

1 comment:

  1. I have always been told that I should not initiate hugs or touching, but that they are okay. I'm with you that in the younger grades, there's nothing wrong with a kid hugging their teacher. Sometimes, they may not get hugs at other times. Even if they do- too many hugs is not a bad thing!

    I do try to be careful that taller students are hugging in a way that they're not putting their head on my chest (awkward and potentially inappropriate). With younger students, I try to make sure they're not grabbing around my hips/ butt/ etc. In general, though- I've been told that hugs and affection are okay as long as you don't initiate it. Side-hugs are a good way to avoid awkward touches, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails