Tuesday, February 16, 2010

No smooth road

I'm back!! My lack of posts can attest to the insane amount of work I've had to complete before returning back to practicum... but it's good to be back in the classroom!  This final block (ah! can't believe it's almost over!) I am teaching a split grade 5/6 group.  The class seem like a really good bunch of kids and I'm really excited to start teaching math and language with some Smart board technology to change up the pace.  I've also scrounged around some resources that would make a nice Olympic themed unit but we'll see how flexible my associate is and how much time I actually have to implement my own lessons. 

This block in particular means a lot to me...not only is it my first experience with a split grade, it's also my last chance to leave a lasting impression on the staff at my associate school.  The job market is tougher than tough (as I've ranted about in previous posts lol).  I'm in the midst of finalizing my resume and cover letter before they're officially sent to all the school boards within driving distance of my home.  So far I'm preparing for about 10 school boards, public and Catholic.  I'm hoping I get something close to home but I guess a 2 hour drive isn't as bad as moving all the way to Korea.  I haven't quite given up on that dream...but I think I should at least give home options a chance.  If it doesn't work out after trying every single local option, then I'm definitely going to consider that 1 year contract abroad.

Many teachers I've spoken to have told me that I may have a fighting chance here.  I have certification with the Royal Conservatory of Music for piano, and I'm told that this music specialist background might be the bonus that makes my resume stand out from the rest along with my solid practicum performances.  Fingers crossed that this turns out to be true!  

In addition to this I've made arrangements to have my alternative practicum at the Royal Ontario Museum.  As a Gallery Leader intern, I get to fiddle around with casts and actual museum artifacts in a hands-on environments for kids and parents alike.  I'll be able to interact with a wide range of kids and adults and, best of all, I get to wander the museum before and after my shift! (nerdy I know lol)  I'm really looking forward to having an opportunity to explore such a unique educational setting with so many resources and tools to engage the public...something you definitely wouldn't see in a typical classroom.  Plus I don't have to worry about assessments or marking or lesson planning and just enjoy that learning experience.  During our training on Saturday I actually got to hold a 80 million year old ankle bone fossil of a dinosaur!! You can't deny the magic of dinosaurs.  I only wished they kept that topic in the Ontario curriculum :P   

So that means I have 3 weeks of practicum at school, 3 weeks at the museum, 1 week of break (thank goodness) and then 2 1/2 weeks of lectures and then it's OVER!

Boy, does time fly!

In the meantime, I'd like to end off with this quote that has kept me chugging along. 

"Life has no smooth road for any of us; and in the bracing atmosphere of a high aim the very roughness stimulates the climber to steadier steps, till the legend, over steep ways to the stars, fulfills itself."-W. C. Doane

Happy Teaching :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh SMART board, how I love thee. I dd my student teaching in a 4th grade room with a SMART board and was just intoxicated by its glory, hehe. Good luck in that split room block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes smart board is a lot of fun to fiddle around with...although I tend to get absorbed in making it look pretty and waste too much time lol thanks for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails