Well, all my bags are unpacked and everything has been stored away and I'm left alone in this big house feeling a bit isolated from the rest of the world. My family stayed with me for most of the day yesterday so that was nice but on top of that I had a bad cold that just made me feel so miserable. After some medication and soup I feel much better physically. Mentally, on the other hand, I feel a bit nervous, anxious and isolated. Usually I can sleep in easily till 12 in the afternoon but for some reason last night I kept waking up every hour starting at 4:30am. It's probably just the anxiety of waking up to a room and house that isn't yours and I'm sure it will pass once I get my feet wet.
The housemates are nice, but seeing as I'm a graduate and they're just in second year, we have little in common and it's very clear everyone has their own life to live. Tomorrow my friend will be moving in so it might feel more like a home once I see a familiar face. It's awfully cold and windy here being so close to the water but I've managed to walk around and see some things (especially since I couldn't fall asleep after 7am). So far I noticed it's a mostly elderly caucasian community with the occasional sprinkling of uni students. I'm sure it'll feel like a college city by next week when the undergrads begin their classes but right now I definitely feel out of place.
I've lived on my own for my undergrad so I'd assumed the anxiety would have been a little easier to handle the second time around but I guess not. I'm trying not to look through my photo album so I won't feel even more lonely. The other thing that has left me feeling a little bummed is the fact that a few friends threw a good- bye shin dig for me the day before I left. It was such a nice surprise and a fun celebration. The contrast between now and that night couldn't be more painfully apparent. At least this gives me an opportunity to catch up on some readings. I might have an old friend come and visit me today so that will be a nice break from this mundane day. In the meantime I'll go make some tea, pop some more cold meds and work on my notes for my textbook readings.
(Orientation is on Tuesday and then classes begin on Thursday but I'll keep you posted!)
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment