Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Textbooks for Teacher's College

So it looks like I'll be starting on homework before I even start school. Queen's has emailed me the following suggestion regarding a book report that will be due pretty early: "Because there is an assignment due for these courses soon after you arrive here in September, you will want to complete the reading prior to your arrival." With that in mind, I've gone through all the books and narrowed it down to Beyond Monet: the artful science of instructional integration. This book focuses on how to integrate a variety of instructional skills and strategies based on knowledge of how students learn. It provides sample lessons by teacher at all grade levels and the website seems to be a great compliment to the book.

Oh and for those who are interested in the list of suggested books we were given by Queen's, here you go:

Allen, R. (2002). Impact teaching. Toronto: Allyn & Bacon.
Ideas and strategies for creating effective lessons to maximize student learning and influence students positively.

Evertson, Carolyn. (2006). 7th edition. Classroom management for elementary teachers. Toronto: Pearson.
A comprehensive guide to managing the school classroom with chapters on managing instruction, cooperative learning and behaviour.

Faber, Adele, & Mazlish, Elaine (1995). How to talk so kids can learn. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.
Using unique communications strategies, the authors show teachers how to defuse difficult situations, avoid classroom clashes, and help children handle everyday problems that interfere with learning. Down-to-earth classroom strategies and advice.

Fennimore, B. S. (1995). Student-centered classroom management. Toronto, ON: Delmar.
Classroom management in elementary schools is addressed in a student-centered approach. This text shows how to connect issues in classroom management and discipline to curricular design and developmentally appropriate practice.

Jones, Vernon F., & Jones, Louise S. (2001). Comprehensive classroom management: creating communities of support and solving problems. (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn, Bacon.
A guide to establishing positive school and classroom climates, organizing classrooms, improving instruction, dealing with discipline problems, and developing individualized instruction plans.

Levin, J., Nolan, J. (2005). Principles of classroom management: a professional decision-making model. Canadian edition. Toronto, ON: Pearson.
Text presents an array of decision-making options to guide thinking about how to approach typical classroom management situations and prevent or solve a variety of problems.

Marzano, Robert. (2003). Classroom management that works: research based strategies. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
Research supports a variety of specific strategies that educators can use to manage classrooms and learning effectively. A guide to the critical role of classroom management in student learning

Parkay, Forrest. Becoming a teacher. 2nd Canadian Edition. (2005). Toronto, ON: Pearson.
Provides tools and information to explore 21st century teaching practices and issues. A detailed overview of education and teaching in Canada: "school 101."

Others I want to read:

Rules in School (Strategies for Teachers, ) (Paperback)
by M. B. Forton, D. Porter, C. Wood

Brand New Teacher: How to Guide and Teach the Early Grades Using Scripts
by C. Keeney

Discipline Without Stress Punishments or Rewards: How Teachers and Parents Promote Responsibility & Learning
by M. L. Marshall
Classroom Spaces That Work (Strategies for Teachers Series, 3) (Paperback)
by M. K. Clayton, M. B. Forton

The Morning Meeting Book (Strategies for Teachers, 1) (Paperback)
by R. Kriete, L. Bechtel

A suggestion to those looking for textbooks for TC, check out other university book stores and used bookstores around home for cheaper books than those in Amazon or Chapters. I'll be buying the book in the next few days and begin reading...the lessons I learn in it might even benefit me this week since I actually have a lot more boys in my class and one with a mild case of Asperger Syndrome. Keeping in mind that I haven't really had training in handling diverse needs in one classroom, this assignment might end up helping me in a very important way. I'll keep you all posted on any interesting tidbits once I get the book. In the meantime it's best I go to bed at a regular hour :P

Good Night!

1 comment:

  1. In this era of web 2.0, we easily get nice & updated information for research purposes... I'd definitely appreciate the work of the said blog owner... Thanks!
    ................................

    writing a term paper-Essay Writing Help

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails