Monday, October 12, 2009

Jaded?

I was in the dollarstore purchasing some hallowe'en stickers as a prize for a math lesson when my brother turns to me and says, "I can't wait till you've taught long enough to look back and laugh at how hard you're trying right now."

Of course he was just teasing me because I was also wondering about what costume I wanted to wear to school but the comment hit close to home.  So far in my practicum I've encountered teachers who either still seem to have that eagerness to excite their students or who have settled on the templates to dictate their lessons regardless of its efficacy.  Sadly the latter group dominates as far as I can see. 

I know many (actually, let's be honest, I'm probably the only one reading this lol) senior teachers reading my blog may be of the same sentiment... and of course I know I won't be so gung ho about every single educational endeavour, but I'd like to think that I won't let myself get to the point where my job is just that, a job.  I'm sure I sound completely innocent and naive but I'm hoping that I don't let administration, curriculum and government mandates make me forget that in the end what I'm doing is for my students.

I've had some teaching experience in my life outside of the classroom and I know there are things that really suck about being a teacher.  I've had experiences where I just don't like some of the kids I'm teaching, and I'm frustrated to no end about how to get through to them , there are parents who just drive me up the wall and others I wish were related to me lol and I know that the people working with you can make or break your resolve to succeed in your teaching.

I think being in the staff room has really opened my eyes to what can happen to a person after doing the same job for so many years.  Some of them have told me that they've come away from several workshops feeling inspired and revved up...then they return to the classroom and become overwhelmed with daily classroom needs that they can't even be bothered to incorporate that newfound knowledge and excitement.  Of course they all still care about their students, but some give me the impression of just settling for the bare minimal because it's just too exhausting to go beyond that.  I'm crossing fingers and toes that when I look back that maybe I won't be so jaded...

4 comments:

  1. Hey - love your blog! Let me tell you - I'm no senior teacher (4 years total, my first in kindergarten) that you seem like you'll be just fine... the key is to pick an age where the kids motivate you. If you're inspired by them, you'll keep your mojo up. Just what I'm finding anyway. I'm going to add your blog to mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's reassuring to hear teachers (even those not so senior :P) enjoying the work that they're doing! Looking forward to reading about your adventures as well...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thoughts were mine exactly when I first began teaching. I had a not-so-stellar cooperating teacher during my internship and it made me question my own pedagogy more than a few times. As soon as you step foot in your very own classroom, though, everything changes. You'll amaze yourself with how passionate you become about teaching and learning and every year will be just as challenging as the next. After five years in the classroom it has yet to get easy, but I think the challenge to try new things and stay current is what keeps the fire burning long after the novelty wears off. Your blog is wonderful--I'll keep checking back to hear your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the encouraging comments! It truly means a lot and I'm glad that I have something of value to keep you coming back for more :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails