After a terrible first day of teaching my associate and I went over everything that happened and it really came down to classroom management. I think the hardest part of student teaching is understanding where you fit in your associate's space. Some prefer you mimic exactly what they do, others let you do whatever you want. After asking for a clearer definition I was given permission to make the class my own, and I think that made the difference between the first day of teaching and the rest of the week.
All in all, I feel like I've done a good job and I'm hoping that I just keep improving as practicum continues. Even my associate teacher seems to be surprised by my speedy recovery. I'm so excited that I have some of my ESL/ ELL students and quieter students participating and trying to give answers when they don't normally try. Of course I had to give a couple of detentions... it's the standard punishment given by the teacher's at my school so my kids expect it. I had two students in particular who took it upon themselves to excuse themselves from the class detention so they (on their own) compromised by offering another recess detention.
The strangest thing is that I think we've gotten closer as a class after that class detention. I had them write up an apology letter and a contract promising to follow my three rules when I am teaching. And later that day they asked me to sign their class rock (their sign of community in the classroom) and I was really touched. It's such a pleasure teaching these guys and I look forward to slowly drawing everyone out of their shell to participate.
This week I continue with the math unit and some language but for a few days I get to take over the art lessons as well. I've decided to incorporate the early civilization unit with art and try out some Egyptian style self portraits. I've found a couple of fantastic blogs with great art lesson plans. Check out Art Smarts 4 Kids and Deep Space Sparkle for some amazing art history and art ideas for your classroom (for any grade)!
I know this weekend was a big welcome after so many late nights planning. Hopefully the next few weeks I'll be able to increase my endurance. My professor will be coming to my school to personally evaluate my teaching style on Thursday so I hope that by then I will have the kind of classroom environment that I would be proud to be associated with :)
Wish me luck and happy teaching!
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





I remember how tricky it was balancing planning lessons for the first time, trying not to step on anyone's toes, and trying to get into the swing of teaching....student teaching was very overwhelming for me. The one good thing I can say about it and the first year of teaching; it was great preparation for parenthood. It takes A LOT to phase me now! : ) Hang in there and make sure you get enough sleep.
ReplyDeleteFondly,
pink and green mama, MaryLea
Thanks so much for your kind words! Finding the balance is definitely something I need work on and I will try for the last week to get my sleeping schedule back on track :P
ReplyDelete