Saturday, November 21, 2009

Do you have friends?

So I'm finally back home!  I am pretty excited to start teaching my grade twos this month.  Second block is going to be a lot tougher considering I will be responsible for about 50% of the material taught everyday.  But technically I was essentially working that much on my first block! My time management skills will be challenged to the max.  I'm trying to remind myself to pace myself and avoid burning the midnight oil...I don't want to get frustrated or anxious and take it out on the kids.

I have a really great feeling about this block.  Of course I'm apprehensive about the students and my teaching ability and coping with so much...but it's Christmas time soon and my teacher seems to really thrive in a creative environment so I think we'll work very well together.   In the meantime my personal life needs to have more balance as well..it's been hard to keep in touch with friends from my undergrad and people back at home so I plan on taking full advantage of my weekends and actually having a life.  Well... maybe not every weekend! 

So my goals for this block:
1) Not to stress over unnecessary things
2) Time management/ Avoid procrastination
3) Regain my social life
4) Make sure I prioritize sleep
5) Get involved with extra curricular at my school
6) Enjoy the experience of being home for 6 weeks straight!
7) Visit my grade fives :)


I can already feel that I'll have more to share with you guys...I've been told my class has a very unique set of thinkers.  On the last day of my last practicum block I went to visit them (fully dressed as a bee for the junior's Halloween costume party) to say hello and answer any questions they had.  I told them a little bit about myself and finally the teacher asked if they had any questions.  First they wanted to know if I was going to be a replacement to her (you could see the panic in their eyes lol).  We answered no and that I would just be learning to be a good teacher to them with the help of their teacher.  That seemed to settle them down...then one little boy raised his hand and asked, "Do you have friends?" 

Maybe it was the fact that I looked so ridiculous in Styrofoam and pipe cleaner antennas and bee wings but apparently my ability to make friends seemed questionable.  I was taken aback by the question... I almost wanted to say OF COURSE!  But that really wasn't what he was asking...he wanted to know if I had friends just like he did.  I answered that I did and that my grade five class and I have become good friends and that I hope that we can be as well.  Anyway, it should be an interesting few weeks and I'll keep you posted!

Happy Teaching!

1 comment:

  1. Please make sure you focus on work/life balance. That is the hardest one for newbies and will be critical as you move into having your own classroom. It's easy to spend every free moment in your room or working on stuff at home. Don't do it. :)

    http://halpey1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails