Saturday, November 14, 2009

Workshops gallore...

Well it's been a busy week with assignments and projects and I've been especially busy attending a couple of workshops and trying to finish my art pieces for one of my classes.  One of the workshops I attended was WordWorks which taught us about teaching spelling and meaning in words in a completely different way.  We started with basics on sounding out words and how s can have /Z/ or a /S/ sound and you can feel that when you touch your throat when you say words like cats and dogs.  It was a very informative session.  To be honest it's going to take me awhile to fully understand and implement proper morpheme use while teaching literacy but anyone who is interested, please check out their website here.

The other workshop I attended talked about multicultural mathematics.  It was amazing how the presenter combined global mathematics into the Ontario curriculum.  Awesome game suggestions like Nim, learning Vietnamese numbers to understand base tens, learning about the Hindu-Arabic number system and it's connection to numbers to today and Egyptian symbolic mathematics.  Really amazing stuff that has great ties to history, social studies, art and even science.

Anyway I better get back to work but before I go I'll just post some pics of my first finished watercolour painting for my art class... Again, I'm not a professional but I'm learning as I go!

Have a great weekend :)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails